31 August 2010

St. Joseph's Cathedral (San Diego, CA)

I visited St. Joseph’s Cathedral two weekends ago with my parents while we were vacationing in San Diego (Sorry, I'm still playing catch-up here!). St. Joseph's is located on Third Avenue in downtown San Diego and houses the seat of  Bishop Robert Brom of the San Diego Diocese. 

I thought I would get to see a beautiful church, but it was undergoing renovations, and scaffolding covered most of the outside of the building. It appeared to be a mission-style church, but I didn’t really get a good look at it. Once inside, the building was pretty, but unconventional. It seemed quite narrow for a church of its size and length. A series of skinny columns made up a colonnade leading to the altar. In most churches that attempt to imitate the Gothic style, there is a single, semi-circular wall behind the altar. St. Joseph’s had three walls coming together at 90° angles. Maybe I’m starting to get too picky, but I thought it was weird-looking. I did, however, like the wooden cross beams near the ceiling of the church and my mom especially liked the stained glass.

Father Gil, a visiting priest, gave a homily about salvation. Catholics, he said, believe in a universal invitation to salvation. It is the responsibility of the individual, however, to respond to that invitation. He encouraged his parish to accept this invitation by having faith in Jesus. He also said that “sitting in a garage doesn’t make you a car, and sitting in church doesn’t make you a Christian.”

Links:

He who exalts himself shall be humbled, but he who humbles himself shall be exalted. Millions of people are being displaced by the floods in Pakistan. I know money's tight for everyone right now, but please consider making a donation to the United Nations Childrens Fund here

Pictures:

Drawing of St. Joseph's Cathedral (Not done by me...ha ha)

A little disappointing...



Churches I've Been To In Southern California:

View Catholic Churches I've Visited in Southern California in a larger map





No comments:

Post a Comment